Sunday, March 7, 2010

Ratatouille

I've set myself with a goal to see all Pixar movies before the year's end. In the last couple of years I've completely ignored the studio's films despite their critical success. Out of the the 11 Pixar films (counting the upcoming Toy Story 3) I've only seen 5 of them. Ratatoullie was Pixar's 2007 release. It's the story of Remy, a rat who dreams of becoming a famous French chef though his large family doesn't share such a sentiment. Remy's life takes a detour and leads him to the bright lights of Paris where his idol, Auguste Gusteau's restaurant has fallen on hard times, but with the help of a clumsy young man named Alfredo, Remy's culinary experience might just save the restaurant.

Saying that a Pixar movie looks good is pretty much a given. The movie is packed with beautiful images of Paris, drawn to look quaint and retro. There are imaginative camera angles and movement, and a stunning attention to detail. The characters move and emote with fluidity, not stiffly, the most animated films now-a-days do it. As usual with Pixar films, there is a simple plot that somehow manages to hold a lot more weigh and complexity than I would've guessed. Most notably, I was impressed with how the movie juggles the multiple relationships and plots all at once. There's Remy's connection to his dad and brother, his conflicting desire to be a gourmet chef, Linguini's crush on a fellow cook, The head chef's paranoia that there's a rat living in the kitchen. The rightful ownership of the Gusteau brand name comes into play, and somehow, a picky critic figures into the whole thing as well.

Another thing that struck me was that while most Pixar films strike a happy balance of subject matter that both kids and adults can enjoy, this one seemed to be aimed more for the adults; not in a suggestive sense but in a sophisticated sense. There's little in the way of pure slapstick and most of the humor comes from what's being said than what's happening on screen. Sure kids will enjoy this but I think older people would appreciate it more. I certainly enjoyed this and I can't wait to see what other Pixar films I've let slip past my radar.

No comments: